- Responsibility is about ‘ owning up ‘ .When one has it he / she does not need to be told what to do, each time .No amount of checklists , reminders can really make up for the absence of sense of responsibility .
- It’s a position of strength , it presupposes that the control is in your hand . Blaming others is a position of weakness as it presupposes that nothing was in your hand .
- The lever / control center for sense of responsibility is ‘ internal ‘ to us ; it’s when we don’t have ( or lose ) it , we give up control to an ‘ external ‘ source – which is when we blame others .
- Responsibility needs to be self driven – can’t be thrust or given in inheritance — which is when it becomes a burden .
- Sense of responsibility is beyond a transaction – it’s an approach to life .
- Taking responsibility has focus on task accomplishment , blaming which has to do with ‘ explaining ‘ failures – has focus on self ( to absolve ) . Taking responsibility is to want to shape future , blaming is getting stuck in the past .
- Taking responsibility hence begins with self belief .
- As much as lack of sense of responsibility is ; an inflated sense of responsibility too is bad …. it’s where one tends to believe that he/ she is in control of everything in the universe — which is not only untrue , but will not only lead to misplaced arrogance . Like blaming others , self blaming too is negative , it dwells into the past .
- ‘ Being responsible ‘ is needed , not just the ‘ thought of being responsible ‘ , which is just a barren mental burden